Disclaimer: When you find yourself involved in a car accident, seek medical help at once. Contact an attorney to get legal advice on how to tackle your case. This article aims to provide tips on what to remember when you get into a car accident.
Getting involved in a car accident is time consuming and costly. It is important to know what to do and not to do when you are involved in a car accident.
Protecting your rights is your priority. You must be familiar with the key things to remember legally when you are involved in a car accident. Knowing how to react to this kind of incident can help you file a claim against the negligent party. If you are at fault, it will help you know what to do legally.
What Should You Do?
During a car accident, you must remember these tips in order to avoid any kind of misunderstanding between you and the other party:
- Do not leave the accident scene Avoid leaving the scene of the accident. This applies to both parties, especially if you are the negligent party.
- Felony hit and run This type of hit and run is when you leave the scene of an accident that resulted to an injury or death. The penalty charges for this kind of hit and run will depend on each state. However, the common penalty is a fine of not less than $10,000 and possible jail time depending on your state.
- Misdemeanor hit and run If you leave the scene of the car accident that caused property damages, you will be charged with a misdemeanor hit and run charge. Penalties for this type of charge are one-year jail time and a fine of not less than $1,000 depending on your state.
- Warrant of arrest If there is evidence that you are responsible for the accident and you fled the scene, police will serve you a warrant. Police will issue a warrant of arrest for you in the residence or place you are currently located.
- Call the local police Contact the police immediately. This will ensure that the accident site is secured and uncompromised. The police will also record evidence such as you and the other party’s statements, witness accounts and crash scene photographs.
- Seek medical attention If physical injuries are involved, get medical help. Contact a medical professional or a healthcare provider in order to attend to the injuries you sustained.
Once you have done these precautionary steps, it is best to directly contact your lawyer.
Legally Prepare Yourself
You need to prepare yourself legally in case a car accident case is filed. You should remember these things:
- Document and gather evidence Before the accident scene is compromised, gather all the evidence you can such as:
- Take photographs of the extent of the damages of the car accident.
- Talk to eyewitnesses and take some notes of their accounts.
- Get the names and the contact details of the witnesses, the other party and everyone who is involved in the car accident.
- Gather the necessary information from the other party including the name, contact details, license plate number, driver’s license number, insurance company and the policy number.
You should also provide the other party the information they need as mentioned above.
- Call your insurance provider It is best to contact your insurance company to inform them about what happened. However, it is best not to divulge everything. A simple notification will do. These are the possible questions they might ask:
- Did you get injured?
- Are you able to work immediately?
- Who was at fault?
Avoid answering the question above if asked by your insurance company. They might misinterpret any data you provide them. This may affect your claim later on.
- Do not talk directly with the other party’s insurance company If the other party’s company approaches you, avoid talking to them. Inform them to speak with you when your lawyer is present. Any information you give them may be used against you. Therefore, you must wait for your lawyer before communicating with them.
- Hire a competent attorney Your lawyer is responsible for helping you get through this car accident case. Choose a lawyer who is familiar with car accident cases. You are protecting your rights when you consult a legal professional. Your lawyer can:
- Ensure that no evidence is destroyed or taken for granted.
- Provide you with proper legal advice on how you should talk with your insurance company, the police and the other party.
- Help you find the medical treatment you need.
It can be chaotic and stressful when you find yourself in a dreadful situation such as a car accident. A lawsuit like this can affect you physically and emotionally. However, seeking legal counsel can help ease the burden off of your chest. Car accident lawyers are there to assist you legally.
It can be an additional burden if the other party involved in the accident rides a motorcycle. The lack of protection for the rider can put them at risk for long-term physical and psychological consequences. If you want to learn more about the legal processes involved in motorcycle accidents, you can click here.
Ashley Thompson is a promising young law writer. She hopes to apply her years of study into helping explain legal issues to the public. Ashley loves cooking and often cooks for her family during weekends.